EYELASH EXTENSIONS 101: 8 things you wish someone had told you earlier
Read time: 8-10 minutes
Have you ever wanted long, luscious eyelashes? Do you feel like other people’s lashes are so pretty but yours are not? Has anyone ever told you that your eyelashes could use a little help? So have many other women around the world. It is common to understand that longer lashes can create an instant eye-opening effect and add volume to your eyes. And no, we are not talking about faking it with falsies or applying fake mink lashes. The quest for longer and thicker eyelashes naturally have led women to choose eyelash extensions rather than mascara.
So if you are new to eyelash extensions or you never truly feel satisfied with your current lash set, let us take the lead to share the 8 things you wish someone could have told you earlier before having your dream set of eyelash extensions.
1. Eyelash extensions are different from Filler Lash Lift
Eyelash extensions and lash lifts are two different procedures that address the same issue: long-looking lashes that create an instant eye-opening effect. However, there are some significant differences in terms of the application process, duration of the procedure and the results.
Lash Lift procedure uses a silicone pad to curl the top part of each individual natural lash with a keratin-based solution, which causes them to curl upwards and become more prominent. Lash extensions use synthetic lashes that are applied to your natural lashes with medical-grade glue.
Eyelash extensions are a popular choice among those who want to lengthen and thicken their lashes. When applied by an expert, eyelash extensions can add volume, length, and density to your existing lashes. While lash lifts only lift up the natural lashes without adding any volume or length.
Eyelash extensions take about 90 mins per session, they last up to 4-6 weeks and touch-up is required within 3 weeks in order to maintain. Lash lifts can last 5-6 weeks and must be redone every 6 months for upkeep.
In conclusion, Lash lifts are better for clients who already have fairly long lashes or straight & droopy natural lashes, while eyelash extensions are an ideal choice for those who want fuller and longer lashes that make them look like they have mascara on all the time.
2. There are 3 common eyelash extensions techniques that you can choose from (Classic, Volume, Hybrid)
Classic Eyelash Extensions can be achieved in as little as 75 minutes. It is done using the lash by lash technique (1 synthetic eyelash placed on 1 natural eyelash). Each lash is placed away from the lash line and with a safe space in between so that you will feel absolutely comfortable wearing it. You can also expect a light to medium liner effect with these lashes, depending on the type and shape of the lash applied.
Russian Volume/Mega Volume:
This design blends perfectly with your natural lash line, using 2 or more extensions applied to one natural lashes. Give your eyes the volume it needs without having to wear false eyelashes. From an elegant yet natural look to an extra flirtatious look, you can feel confident to stand out with the combination of Russian Volume Technique and Korean ultra-soft lashes for just the right look.
Hybrid lashes are a blend of classic and volume lashes, creating a custom lash design pattern that will maximise your lash line. It’s the best of both worlds: every bit of length and thickness you’ve always wanted, but with a touch of volume for added fullness! This lash technique is perfect for everyday wear or for a special occasion.
3. Eyelash extensions are a well-organised & safe procedure
For desired results, several necessary procedures have to be fulfilled. Eyelash Extensions consists of the following procedures:
A consultation with the lash artist to determine the customer’s eye shape and expectation of the outcome.
Material, Style, Length and Curl selections – Dreamlash recommends lash curls and lash texture based on individual’s preferences
Choice of extensions methods:
- Classic lash extensions technique (lash by lash technique) – E.g. Korean Classic Designs
- Volume extensions technique – E.g. Korean Volume, Magic Volume
- Hybrid technique – E.g. using a blend of different lashes to create textures
Apply lash extensions to the natural lashes – the process will take about 90 minutes.
Aftercare recommendations after completing the process
Note: All products are high quality and lash artists must be skilled and certified in order to perform a perfect procedure that brings desired results.
4. Say goodbye to Falsies, Mascara & Eyelash Curler for at least 1 month
Eyelash extensions are the perfect daily solution for women who want to look their best. But what about those women who want to skip the painstaking process of putting on makeup every morning? What if you could wake up with beautiful long lashes—and skip the whole bit where you spend 15 – 30 minutes curling your eyelashes to apply mascara?
With Eyelash Extensions, you will get:
- Fuller looking lashes that add volume and length without clumping or causing irritation
- No more mascara or eyelash curler
- More than four weeks of beautiful lashes
5. Eyelash extensions can fit different eye shapes due to its flexibility in customisation (curls, thickness, length)
There are various eyelash thicknesses that you can choose from to create a specific eyelash style. In the earlier years when eyelash extensions were just starting to gain popularity, the thickness was limited to 0.25mm and 0.2mm. As technology advances, there are now many more options such as 0.15mm and 0.10mm.
Most classic lash/ lash by lash extensions uses 0.15mm while 0.12mm can be used for lashes that are more sparse and fine. For volume lashes, there are 0.07mm or 0.05mm thickness. In this case, multiple extensions are made into a fan to place onto one of your natural eyelashes.
The curls are represented by an alphabet letter that resembles the curl. A curl is a slight curl while B curl is a medium curl that gives a slight open eye effect. C curl or D curl are more intense and most visible from the front.
The type of curl used is determined by the direction of your natural lash growth as the curls have a different effect on a person with downward-pointing lashes and a person with curved up lashes.
It is recommended that the length of your extensions should be selected based on the length of your natural lashes. Having too long extensions that your natural lashes cannot take will weigh down your natural lashes and cause breakage or premature shedding. Go for extensions that are not more than 1.5 times of your natural lashes. By doing so, it is guaranteed that your lash extensions will last longer, and will not damage your natural lashes.
6. There are 3 popular styles & trendy designs for eyelash extensions
The most popular designs favoured by lash-loving ladies are the Doll Eye, Cat Eye and the Sweet style.
- Cat eye style focuses on the longer lashes at the ends to lengthen out the eye.
- Dolly style has the longest lashes at the centre of the eye to create an open-eye effect to make it look larger.
- Sweet style uses longer length throughout the eye to create a bigger and wider eye effect.
Read more to understand which eyelash extensions style fit your eye shapes
7. It’s normal for pregnant ladies/ those with sensitive eyes to do eyelash extensions
Can pregnant ladies do eyelash extensions? The answer is surely a YES. But there are some areas of concern that pregnant ladies should be aware of:
- During the earlier stage, the majority of ladies may have a heightened sense of smell which makes them more sensitive to the fumes of the glue. Hence, you should request for a low-fume glue in order to ensure you will not feel irritated by the smell.
- During the later stage, the much bigger baby bump can cause discomfort when lying down flat. In this case, you can request the lash salon to provide a body pillow to support the bump while you lie sideways. Keeping your head straight during the procedure is a way to make you feel more comfortable without affecting the lash artist doing their job.
It depends on what kind of sensitivity. Some people are sensitive to the eye mask, while some are sensitive to tapes, and there are also people who are sensitive to the lash glue. If you have sensitive skin, you need to inform your lash artist so she will be more careful during the process and possibly help you to identify the products that could cause sensitivity.
For those who have sensitive eyes, inform your lash artist to change to low-fume glue that is suitable for sensitive eyes.
8. Aftercare is not that hassle, just follow a few simple steps
The aftercare procedures are manageable. Here are a few important tips to help your lash extensions last longer:
- Avoid your new lash extensions touching water for the first 24 hours.
- Always use oil-free makeup removal products for the eye areas.
- Avoid mascara and eyelash curlers.
- Comb the lashes daily to keep them neat and pretty.
- Resist the urge to rub your eyes
- Remember to touch-up every 2-3 weeks to upkeep your lashes.
- Optional: You can use K Lash Professional Eyelash Foam Cleanser to clean your lashes. The product is designed to cleanse off all remaining makeup and kill bacteria without drying the skin and breaking down the lash adhesive. K Lash Professional Eyelash Foam Cleanser can be purchased in-store at all Dreamlash’s outlets
Alternatively, you can read a full article here “7 tips to make your eyelash extensions last longer”.
ACHIEVE YOUR DREAM LASHES WITH DREAMLASH KOREA
If you’re looking for a way to enhance your eyes and get the look you’ve always wanted, eyelash extensions are worth trying! But make sure that you choose a professional to do the job. That way, you can rest easy knowing that these lashes will be in great hands—and that they’ll make your eyes look amazing.
Dreamlash specializes in eyelash extensions in Singapore who offers different techniques and a wide range of styles and customizations to suit any look that caters to different eye shapes. You can choose from Korean Classic Eyelash Extensions that are ideal for first-timers, to Magic Volume Eyelash Extensions that volume lash lovers will absolutely adore! Check out our services here.
All of the products used by Dreamlash are designed and produced in Korea where they undergo stringent quality control checks to ensure they are safe for your eyes. Our lash artists are highly skilled and with years of experience in performing various eyelash extensions procedures.
Find out more about our Lash Styles & Designs.